Habersham Humane Society is a private, non-profit animal welfare agency and, as such, we are legally prohibited from taking strays/found animals into our care. We have NO facility for animals. Per Georgia state law, stray/found animals must be taken to the local shelter/animal control facility that provides for such service in the jurisdiction in which the animal was found.
Each local facility has varying stray/hold times. Habersham Animal Control may allow the finder to hold the animal for the mandated time, but the finder must file a found pet report and make a good faith effort to reunite the pet with its legal owner. Owners who have lost a pet need a central location to find them and the best location is their local municipal animal control facility.
Habersham County Animal Control and Care: (706)839-0195
Stephens County Animal Control: (706)282-3275
White County Animal Control: (706)219-7881
1) Make sure your pet has an up-to-date ID tag!
2) Have your pet chipped.
3) Take photos of your pet to use in making flyers or posting online.
4) Remain calm and search your house and property thoroughly.
1) CONTACT YOUR LOCAL ANIMAL SHELTER! It is important that they know about your lost or found animal when a stray is brought to them or a owner contacts them about their lost pet.
2) POST YOUR ANIMAL ON SOCIAL MEDIA! Both Habersham Animal Control and Habersham Humane Society frequently re-post lost and found animals on their Facebook pages. The word will spread!
ADDITIONAL FACEBOOK PET BOARDS INCLUDE:
Lost & Found Pets of Northeast Georgia
Lost & Found – North Georgia Pets
3) DISTRIBUTE FLYERS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD.